John K. Jonak

John K. Jonak
Eager to Start the Day

2nd Platoon

2nd Platoon
Final Picture in Afghanistan

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back at Bragg-Still No Address for Afghanistan

Soldiers getting ready for training.
16 Men slept in this tent on the FOB. Each of us had 5-6 duffel bags full of gear. That's right! Bunk beds are not just for kids!



SSG Z and SPC J posing at a ECP (Entry Control Point).





Today I am back at Fort Bragg. We are in a holding pattern between now and when we actually leave for Afghanistan (the actual date and time we take off is classified). I think this period of time is even more difficult than the training we did while at the FOB. I had an amazing time with Tonia and Kate during my 4 day Pass, but it was over too quickly. Kate has grown so much. I just kept on taking pictures and video of her doing everday things. Knowing that I would be leaving them within days was always looming over me (and Tonia). We did have a great time though. Kate's been excited about trains lately, so we brought her to "All Aboard," a restaurant south of us, that is all about trains (you get your food delivered from an electrical train too). Kate had a great time at Kiddie Land as well. Since we showed up a bit early for Kiddie Land, I was able to jet over to Mannheim Middle School for a quick "howdy". Due to a misunderstanding about flights, I had a super-quick "goodbye" with Tonia and Kate. It was hard to hear that Kate was walking around the house searching/asking for me. However, it was good to see everyone before I left (bittersweet). I am unsure of where I am going in Afghanistan and what we will be doing. Depending on what ammenities are available, this could be my last blog for awhile. We'll see. I wish you all well!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish you well out there. You're looking good in that uniform. I am back here in Chicago to plant myself for the World Series. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers!!!
Marilyn S.

Blog Stalker said...

You rock guys. Remember, this country appreciates you and all you do. Go get em!!!!!!!!!!


Great pictures!

Brad Rindfleisch said...

Thanks for the update and all the great photos! You guys deserve a reward just for practicing in all that gear (holy heavy and hot). Being the geek that I am, I am fully aware of the new guns you received. They are my personal fave while playing "Ghost Recon". Lightweight and can be equipped with a scope. Love it! You look healthy and strong. My sincerest wishes to you and your family. Good luck out there and know that you'll be in our prayers. Also, as usual, if there is anything you need sent or taken care of at your house, my back is still pretty strong! Don't hesitate to ask. :)
-Mr. R.

TNielsen said...

We appreciate all your sacrifice.

A little prayer for you, your family and your brothers:

O God our creator,
in Your great kindness,
look upon our brothers and sisters
in war.
Bless them as they work
to rebuild lives.
We call upon You today
to bless John and his friends.
They have lost so much:
family and friends, maybe even
homes or land, and meaning.
Let them know You are with them
Strengthen them to comfort one another.
And in the people reaching out to help,
may they see the face of Your love.

PLEASE be safe.

Unknown said...

Be safe and we will have to get together when you return, it has been too long. Your little girl is cute and say hello to the wife for me.