John K. Jonak

John K. Jonak
Eager to Start the Day

2nd Platoon

2nd Platoon
Final Picture in Afghanistan

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Manas, Kyrgyzstan to Bagram Air Force Base, Afghanistan


We left Kyrgyzstan this morning after being there for 48 hours. We should be at Bagram for a bit before going on to our next destination for inprocessing. Then it's off to our ARSIC Headquarters to learn of the FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) where we will be conducting our missions. Afghanistan, geographically, reminds me of Colorado so far. Very dry, windy, and mountainous. We are limited in where we can go and what we can see. I have already met a few Afghan Nationals. The communication was poor between us, but a smile goes a long way.
We will start our OJT (On the Job Training) soon. This transtitional time period is probably the most difficult. We all just want to get to where we will be for awhile. I leave you with my favorite pic of Kate from when we went to Kiddie Land together. I wish you all well.

6 comments:

Szcz said...

Glad to hear everything is going as well as possible. Could you please put a couple more acronyms in the blogs. Our school year is off to a smooth start. Keep in touch and be safe!

momxoxo said...

Next thing on the agenda is a map. A rather large map. The blog is a good way to find out what is going on and keeping in touch.
The picture of Katie is darling. Just like her Mom and Dad :).
Love you John.
Angels around you.
momxoxo

Anonymous said...

I can give Szcz some TLAs for ya - so don't worry I've got it covered. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't hit a single golf ball this year - too busy. I'm thinking next week, I'll finally have a chance. Ron C and I will go to Indian Boundary and I'll put one in the drink in your honor (and act like I meant to).

Take care - stay safe!

- J.

Mr. Jonak said...

Thanks for the help Jay. You would think that Szcz would be comfortable with acronyms, being an educator and all! We'll have to go golfing together one of these days...I'll practice here...it will help me in the sand traps I tend to launch myself into.

mrpositive1@aol.com said...

Mr. Jonak,
Your daughter is very beautiful! I'll look forward to your blog posts until your safe return home!

bathmate said...

nice posting for this site...
Bathmate